What is OpenWrt ?
The most popular Free and Open Source wireless router project.
People install OpenWrt because they believe it works better than the stock firmware from their vendor. They find it is more stable, offers more features, is more secure and has better support.
- OpenWrt provides many capabilities found only in high-end devices.
- Its 3000+ application packages are standardized, so you can easily replicate the same setup on any supported device.
- OpenWrt’s standard installation is secure by default, with Wi-Fi disabled, no poor passwords or backdoors.
- OpenWrt’s software components are kept up-to-date, so vulnerabilities get closed shortly after they are discovered.
- Performance and Stability
- OpenWrt firmware is made of standardized modules used in all supported devices.
- This means each module will likely receive more testing and bug fixing than stock firmware which can be tweaked for each product line and never touched again.
- Strong Community Support
- Platform for research into network performance.
- Open Source
- No additional cost / Provided without any monetary cost.
- It has been entirely created by a team of volunteers: developers and maintainers, individuals and companies.
- OpenWrt is part of the Open Source community, and powered by Linux kernel.
What is Wireless Router?
A wireless router is a device that performs the functions of a router and also includes the functions of a wireless access point.
Router + AP
A router is a networking device that forwards data packets between computer networks. Routers perform the traffic directing functions on the Internet. Data sent through the internet, such as a web page or email, is in the form of data packets. A packet is typically forwarded from one router to another router through the networks that constitute an internetwork (e.g. the Internet) until it reaches its destination node.
External networks must be carefully considered as part of the overall security strategy of the local network. A router may include a firewall, VPN handling, and other security functions, or they may be handled by separate devices.
A general purpose computer is a computer that is designed to be able to carry out many different tasks. Desktop computers and laptops are examples of general purpose computers.
General purpose computers
|CPU||AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G|
|RAM||Corsair Dominator Platnum CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 v4.31|
|Motherboard||ASUS Rog Strix B550-I Gaming|
|Storage||Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD 500GB MZ-V8V500B|
|Lan Card||Intel® Gigabit E1G44ET2|
|4G Model||Quectel RM510Q-GL|
|CPU||MIPS1004Kc / 32-bit / Dual (2) / 880MHz /|
|RAM||16-bit DDR2/3 up to 256/512Mbytes|
|Motherboard||EVB Kit, USB, PCIe, VoIP, I2S, PCM, S/PDIF|
|Storage||SPI, SLC NAND|
|Switch Model||5 port Fast Ethernet Switch + RGMII / 2Gbps IPv4/6 routing, NAT, NAPT+HQoS|
One simple way
- Ventoy is an open source tool to create bootable USB drive for ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files.
- With ventoy, you don’t need to format the disk over and over, you just need to copy the ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files to the USB drive and boot them directly.
- You can copy many files at a time and ventoy will give you a boot menu to select them (screenshot).
- DHCPv6 client
- MAP / LW4over6
- QMI Cellular
- DHCP | DNS
- DNS forwardings
- AdGuard Home
- ShadowSocksR Plus+
- Port Forwards
- Dynamic DNS
- Disk Man
- USB Print Server
- KMS Server